Aktiv Chemistry allows instructors to download a version of their gradebook. This support article explains how to customize the downloadable gradebook.
Navigate to the Gradebook Settings
In the main Aktiv screen, navigate to the Gradebook section.
Select the Settings icon, shaped like a gear, next to Customized Gradebook in the Export Gradebook modal.
This will take you to the Customized Gradebook Settings page where there will be several options to select and adjust.
Number of Scores:
The number of scores setting determines if the Aktiv gradebook will produce a single score (one gradebook column) or multiple scores (multiple gradebook columns). Scores are determined by the settings chosen below.
The weighting type of the Aktiv Chemistry gradebook can either be Independent or Relational. If Independent, grades for each assignment type are determined independently. If Relational, grades for each assignment type contribute by percentage to a total weighted grade.
The score type can either be displayed in points or as a percentage.
Included Assignment Types:
Select the assignments that you would like in your Aktiv gradebook by using the Assignment Types toggles. For each assignment type that you include, there are additional options to choose from.
- Column Type - For Attendance grades, choose if you want a single summary score (column) for all Attendance assignments or a score (column) for every Attendance assignment.
- Weighting Policy - For your Attendance grades, choose if the final combined grade is equal to the total number of published Attendance assignments or equal to a custom number of your choice.
- Total Weighted Attendance Grade - If you chose a custom weighting policy, choose the total weighted grade for all Attendance assignments.
For All Other Assignment Types:
For all other assignment types, you will need to select Column Type as mentioned in the Attendance Options section, along with the following:
- Grading Policies - Choose Point Based to set a blend of participation and correctness credit that contributes to the score for the assignment or Mastery Based to set a correctness percentage that will grant students full credit, otherwise giving them no credit.
- Weighting Policy - Select Equally for each assignment to be weighted equally or Individually to keep assignments weighted based on the point values they contained.
- Total Weighted Grade - Choose the combined total for all assignments in this category. This will scale the values of assignments based on your selection for the weighting policy. For example, 10 assignments with an equal weighting out of 100 will end up with 10 points per assignment.
However, if you choose individually weighted with a Summary column and 5 of those assignments were worth 30 points while the others were worth 10 and your total weight was 100, the lower point assignments would be scaled down to a score out of 5, with the others being out of 15. Using Individual columns with Individually weighted will retain the point values of the assignments, even if they don't add up to a round number.
Gradebook Column Preview
The Gradebook Column Preview will display at the bottom of the screen showing what your gradebook columns will look like when exported. If you only selected Summary columns, it will only show columns for each assignment type you included and the maximum value for that column.
If you selected Individual column types, you will see any assignments already published in that category populate. These will also show the maximum grade for that item, scaled as needed based on the weighting policy selected.
Once you have finished making changes, be sure to hit the Save option on the top navigation to save your changes before downloading or navigating away from the settings page.
To Download Grades
Back on the Gradebook section, click the Export Gradebook button in the top right and then the green download button.
You're all set! As always, feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.