This support article explains how to make your first homework assignment. Homework assignments will have a deadline and be downloaded by default in your grade book, whereas Practice will have no deadline and unlimited attempts to answer the question correctly.
1. Log into Aktiv Chemistry on your Firefox or Chrome browser, and then click "Launch Web App".
2. From the "Assignments" tab, select "New Activity" from the top of the main panel.
3. Using the left panel, select the type "Homework" and then to name the assignment, click on "Title of Activity" to enter the name of your assignment.
4. Using the "Scheduling" section on the left menu below the Title, decide if you would like the start date to be "Now" or "Scheduled." "Now" will publish the assignment for student work immediately once your assignment is complete, and "Scheduled" will wait until a set time.
5. Select the "Scheduled Start Date" (if using) and "Due Date" by clicking on the default date and using the calendar to choose the day and adjust the time at the bottom.
6. Under the "Grading" section, you can select "Simple" or "Advanced." With "Simple" you can select number of attempts per problem, and turn on an option to show the solution before the assignment due date and turn on randomized values for algorithmic questions. If using advanced grading, see this article for more information.
7. Under the "Recipients" section, select if you want the assignment assigned to "All Students" or "Individuals/ Groups." More information on assigning to groups can be found here.
8. Select "Resources" if you would like to offer a link to a textbook in each question so students can review the related topics while working through the questions. To turn this resource on, use the toggle next to "Add Extra Resource Link" then select the book you would like to link to from the dropdown menu.
9. Now we're ready to add questions to our assignment.
From the main panel of the page, select "Add problem(s)" or "Add problem pool."
10. Select the Question Bank on the top-left for the drop down to select from courses/textbooks. Click on the topics and subtopics to access the questions. The red finger-tap icon indicates that this topic/subtopic includes questions with interactive tools.
11. Add by selecting the question bank then using the drop down of categories to select the green "Add" button. Clicking again once the button turns red and says "Remove from Activity" will remove them.
Note that the suggested time to answer the question is listed above the question text. This indicates how involved each question is for the student to answer. You will also see the gray Algorithmic badge when a question can have a randomized value if you toggled on Algorithmic values.
12. To see the student's view of the question, click on the question text. Select an answer and click "Show Answer" to see the feedback for correct and incorrect answers. Hit "Done" or the back button to return to the question bank.
13. Click "Done" to return to the activity settings page.
14. Select "Save Draft" to save the homework assignment to publish later, or "Publish/Publish for Later" to have it published right now, or the date/time it has been scheduled for.
15. If you have saved the draft and want to publish it, click Publish on the assignment area.
Congratulations! You have published your first homework!
You're all set! As always, feel free to reach out to email@example.com with any questions.