Adaptive Follow-up is a feature available that will automatically generate a personalized follow up activity for each student in your course based on their individual performance on a Homework assignment. If you find this feature is not enabled for your course, please reach out to your account manager or to email@example.com.
Navigate to the Aktiv login page and log in to your Account. Select 'Launch Web App' to open Aktiv Chemistry or Aktiv Mathematics.
Select or Create Parent Homework
If you want to turn on Adaptive for an existing homework assignment, ;ocate the existing activity and select Edit on the assignment card.
If you need to make a new Homework, select New Activity. If you were already logged in, make sure you are on the Homework section in the submenu.
Turn on Adaptive
You can choose to turn it on for this homework by selecting "Adaptive Follow Up" section from the assignment settings page on the left side panel. You can then use the toggle "Enable Adaptive Follow Up" to enable this feature.
If the option for Adaptive Follow Up is greyed out and there is no toggle to enable it, then your course does not have Adaptive Follow Up added. Select "Contact us to Upgrade" to have our Support Team connect you with your account team to add this feature to your course.
Once you toggle on Adaptive, the "Adaptive Follow Up Settings" modal will appear. You will have several options to configure.
- Behavior: "Optional" publishes the Follow Up Assignment to the students' Practice Section. "Required" publishes the Follow Up Assignment to the students' Homework Section with a specific due date and grading options.
- Added Tutorial Questions (Recommended): "Enabled" will add scaffolded tutorial questions (where available) to the Adaptive Follow Up assignment for specific learning objectives that Aktiv Chemistry determines each student needs additional help on while "Disabled" does not.
There are two possible scheduling options:
- Start Date: Adaptive assignments will be published for the students to see on the selected date here.
- Due Date: If the Adaptive assignment is Required, this will be the date students have to submit their work.
The default for the Start Date will be 3 days after the Homework is due. If required, the Due Date will be 1 week after the Adaptive assignment start date. The exact dates will be reflected below the selection area. Select the default date to see the date pickers to change these dates.
There will be two options: Relative Date and Exact Date. When using a Relative Date, you can pick between Hours, Days and Weeks and some reasonable number options for each selection.
For Start Date, you will also be able to pick between starting after the Due date or Student Completion. The latter may be useful if the Homework will be available for a long time and you don't want students to wait if they finish early.
For Due Date, Relative Date will always be dependent on the date the Adaptive assignment starts.
If the the Relative Date does not include the option you want, or if you want to choose a specific time and/or date, select the Exact Date tab in the date picker. This will bring up a calendar on top. Use the left and right arrows next to the month to select the correct month, pick a date, and then use the up and down arrows over the Hour, Minute and AM/PM selection to change the exact time.
- Attempts per Problem: allows you to adjust the number of attempts that students have per problem.
- Point Penalty Per Problem Attempt: selecting "Penalty" will allow you to choose the penalty that the student will receive per problem attempt while "No Penalty" would allow the student to submit additional attempts without penalty.
- Late Submissions: "Don't Allow" closes the assignment once the due date passes while "Allow" keeps the assignment available to students after the due date with the instructor being able to select the Penalty Percent, whether the Penalty is Constant or Gradual along with the option to select a Late Submission Due Date.
Customized Gradebook Settings
- Include in Grade Calculation: "Included" will include the Adaptive Follow Up assignment when calculating grades, while "Excluded" will mean that the Adaptive Follow Up assignment is not considered when calculating grades.
- Custom Weight: Allows instructors to weight the Adaptive Follow Up Assignment. To adjust the weight, you can use the plus and minus buttons or double-click on the number to use the keypad to enter a new number.
Click "Save" in the top right corner to apply the Adaptive Follow Up Settings to the assignment.
Congratulations! You have created your first Adaptive Follow Up assignment!
You're all set! As always, feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.