Late Submissions is a new feature in Advanced Settings on both In-Class and Homework style assignments. Turn it on to allow students to submit these assignments late, with the option to have a percentage penalty off of their score.
Once you have your assignment ready to save:
1. Select "Advanced" under the grading heading at the bottom of the assignment settings screen.
2. After setting any other Advanced settings, scroll down to Late Submissions and select Allow.
3. Set the percentage penalty you would like for a late attempt. 100% will mean no points will be given for a late submission, 0% means no penalty. You can select any value between 0 and 100.
5. You can change the type of grading penalty you wish to put on the assignment under the "Gradual Penalty" option. "Constant" grading penalty immediately implements the penalty percentage number if a student submits an assignment late, while "Gradual" increases the penalty percentage based on the time frame you choose.
For example, if you implement a 10% penalty on late assignments, having a constant penalty will immediately implement a 10% penalty on all late submissions, no matter how late they are. A 10% gradual penalty with "per day" selected with increase the penalty 10% for each day that an assignment is late, 10% on the first day after it is due, 20% on the second, 30% on the third, and so on.
4. You can also choose the date you want to stop allowing late entries by changing the date under "Allow Until."
NOTE: When using the gradual penalty, it is possible to allow students to submit answers for an assignment and not get any points for it. For example, if you set up an assignment with a gradual late penalty of 20% per day, if a student submits the assignment 6 days after the initial due date, they will not receive any points for that assignment but will still be allowed to submit. To avoid this, you can set up your "Allow Until" date to be 5 days after the initial due date, if desired.
You are all set now! Hit Publish Changes if the assignment was previously live without late submissions, Publish if it's new and you want it live now, or Save Draft to keep it on hand for the future as when setting up any other assignment.
If you're still having trouble, or have any questions in general, feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Please pardon our appearance as we spruce up our support pages to match our new look. Some images may have slightly different logos, colors, or wording. Everything you need, like buttons and settings, should all be in the same place. If you have questions, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org